Information on various aspects of planning can be found on the pages listed below.

General Information

Leeds City Council is the Local Planning Authority (LPA) for Boston Spa. Whilst the LPA has no statutory obligation to consult Parish Councils on planning applications, it has a duty to notify the Parish Council of any planning applications for the area (including applications affecting the village even if they are over the boundary with an adjoining Council) and Parish Councils are afforded the opportunity of making its opinions known and bringing to the attention of the LPA local issues of which they may not be aware.
This is the only stage at which the Parish Council has a right to make observations so it is important that views are made known at this stage.

Planning is an open process and the City Council is required to publicise planning applications. This is usually achieved by placing notices in the vicinity of the application site by fixing them to a nearby lamp-post. In addition the City Council notifies neighbours by letter. The plans and copies of the application are made available for viewing at Wetherby library. Details of applications also appear in the Yorkshire Evening Post each Thursday (listed under Wetherby) and in the Wetherby News on a Friday.

If you want to object to or support any particular application you will need to :
  • Send in your objections or observations to the City Council as soon as you are made aware of or receive notification of the application
  • If you wish the Parish Council to know your views before it sends in its own comments, please contact the Clerk.
additionally you can, if you wish, send a copy of your concerns to the Ward Councillors.
Alterations to your business
It is recommended to seek advice from the LPA before any changes are made, as Boston Spa is in a Conservation Area, so there are extra rules in place. The Parish Council has produced some Shop Front Design Guidance which may assist, the document can be found here.

Alterations to your home
Although some work may be ‘permitted development’, it is unwise to assume that you can extend or alter your home without applying for permission. The "rules" controlling permitted development rights were changed in 2012 and these changes were intended to make it easier to erect some extensions, convert lofts etc... without the need to obtain planning consent in every case. This relaxation was intended to be for a three year period. However the new rules are subject to some local interpretation and indeed in some cases have made the situation worse as tree houses and decking etc. now require a full application to be made. In any event, properties in Conservation Areas are subject to yet more constraints so an inquiry to the LPA is always worthwhile before embarking an any such projects. The basic "rules" for houses are set out on the Planning Portal website and the relevant page can be seen here. Please note that this only applies to houses - flats, maisonettes and other buildings have different requirements which can be seen on the Planning Portal website.

It is strongly recommended that householders always contact the Leeds City Council Planning Department 0113 247 8000 to enquire whether proposed changes do require planning permission. You are advised not to accept the opinion of builders, contractors or installers of prefabricated extensions as authoritative. Please note that, even when work is classed as permitted development, it is required to comply with current Building Regulations.