From the Archives
We have recently discovered some old Minute books and other items and hope to bring you some extracts from meetings in the past. It is interesting to note from a quick look through that many of the items discussed in the near and more distant past are very similar to those that concern the Parish Council today - seats, footpaths and allotments for example. All the Minutes and most of the correspondence from these early days were all hand written.
Here is the first extract from 100 years ago.
Note that November 1913 was a busy month for the Council with meetings on the 4th 7th and 10th as well as the Annual Parish Meeting on 7th November.
1913 Trustees Hall Nov 4th
Mr W W Metcalfe proposed and was seconded by Mr Foster that this council meeting resolve itself into Committee. Carried
Mr J W Adkin (Chairman), Dr Selkirk, Mr W W Bickerdike, G Foster, F Galpine, W W Metcalf , J Whitaker – Clerk.
Applications for Assistant Overseers
Mr Foster proposed and was seconded by Mr Galpine that all applications be submitted to each Councillor for one day. The Councillors to be taken in alphabetically excepting in the case of Mr Clayton.
For some unknown reason these Minutes were never signed
Parish Council Meeting Trustees Hall Nov 7th at 8 pm
Mr J W Adkin Chairman, Messrs W W Bickerdike, G Foster, J Galpine, J W Waddington, , J Whitaker – Clerk.
Payment of A/c
Mr Galpine proposed and was seconded by Mr Waddington that the Boston Spa Gas Co. a/c of £108. 13. 10dforr the :Lighting of the Streets for the year ending Nov 6/13 be passed for payment. Carried
The Gas Co.’s tender for the ensuing year of£108.19.00d was accepted.
Mr Galpine proposed and was seconded by Mr Waddington that the subsequent Parish Meeting be asked for the sum of £1230 for Lighting purposes. Carried
John W Adkin
January 19th 1914
Parish Meeting Trustees Hall Nov 7 at 8 30pm
Mr J W Adkin Chairman, Messrs W W Bickerdike, G Foster, F Galpine, J W Waddington, W W Metcalf, Dr. Selkirk, ( Parish Councillors) 4 Ratepayers, J Whitaker – Clerk.
Notice of Meeting
The Chairman read the following notice convening the meeting.
Parish of Boston Spa
Notice of Parish Meeting
Notice hereby given that the assembly of the Parish Meeting for the above named Parish will be held at the Trustees Hall, on Friday the 7th day of November 1913 at 8 30 o’clock in the evening.
The Business to be transacted at the Meeting will be as follows :-
To Vote to the Parish Council the amount of money to be raiswed for the purposes of the Lightig Act (3 & 4 William IV, C90 S.5) for the year ending Nov 7 1914
Dated this 22nd October 193
Dated this 22nd October 1913
J W Adkins Chairman of the Parish Council
The Minutes of the last Parish Meeting were read and signed on the proposition of Mrs Thirlwell seconded by Mr W Stubbs.
Mr G Thirlwell proposed and was seconded by Mr P Bownas that the sum of £120 be allowed as a precept for that amount be issued to the Overseers
John W Adkin
Nov 6th 1914
Parish Council Meeting Trustees Hall Nov 10th at 8 pm
Mr J W Adkin Chairman, Messrs W W Bickerdike, G Foster, F Galpine, M Iveson, J W Waddington, W W Metcalf, Dr. Selkirk, J Whitaker – Clerk.
The Minutes of the meeting held on Oct 20th were read and signed on the motion of Mr Bickerdike & seconded by Mr Waddington.
The Clerk reported that no reply had been received to the Council’s letter respecting Motor Cars standing in front of the Royal Hotel nor had anything been effected in regard to the seal on the footpath belonging to Mr Jackson, Wharfedale College
Mr Foster proposed and was seconded by Mr Waddington that the proposed rearrangement of the Lamps in Grove Road be referred to the Lighting Committee. Carried
Mr Waddington proposed and was seconded by Mr Galpine that the Boston Spa Gas Co be instructed to remove the Lamp in Bridge Road to opposite side of road near Mr Atkinson Carried
Chairman drew the attention of the Council to the report appearing in the press & Mr Bickerdike proposed and it was seconded by Mr Waddington “that the name of the reporter of our meeting of 20th October 1913 be given to the Chairman of our Parish Council and that the proprietor of the paper be asked. Carried
The question of the lighting of the Street Lamps on dark nights during thee exemption for the period of the full moon was referred to the Lighting Inspector.
James W Adkin
December 8th 1913
The Trustees Hall is the Village Hall
The reference to an exemption period for street lighting is interesting as is the use of capital letters for Street and Lamps in connection with street lighting.
The reference to Overseers is also a sign of the times and is a consequence of Poor Relief which started life in 1598 and remained with just a few changes until 1834.
In all cases, however, the first port of call for any pauper seeking relief was the overseer of the poor. It was the overseer who managed casual relief - the few pence here and there given on demand - and who oversaw the distribution of parish pensions and charitable legacies (frequently distributed on a particular day each month or year, respectively). It was the overseers, subject only to an appeal to a Justice of the Peace or an order of vestry, who determined who received relief, and who was turned away.
Over the years the responsibility for Poor Relief changed from church Parish to Parish Councils and then in 1919 to the Ministry of Health before being finally abolished in 1930.